[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Forum » Hogsmeade Forums » Administration » Technical Issues
    Technical Issues
    Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2013-04-05, 19:00 | Message # 21
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Dang -- that isn't good.

Haven't run into that on my computer.

Thanks for the warning/heads up, Fleur.

* just did some checking via Google, and it seems as if these kinds of forums might have some issues with this... not entirely sure though sad

Edit: just ran a malware scan on my laptop and it came up clean.

@ arry: Do you have any way of making sure that this stuff is blocked in some way?

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Sunday, 2013-04-07, 16:24

ArryGrotterDate: Friday, 2013-04-05, 20:35 | Message # 22
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    I'm sorry to hear about this :/

I've just visited the site logged out and didn't seem to get anything. If you get it again, please share a picture.

I don't think I'll be able to stop it though sad

Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2013-04-05, 21:35 | Message # 23
    Third Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    I'm sorry to hear about this :/ I've just visited the site logged out and didn't seem to get anything. If you get it again, please share a picture.

I don't think I'll be able to stop it though

You can't? Dang that stinks.

Know of any other good free website places that wouldn't have this sort of issue we could go to if this forum doesn't work out?

One of the ones I've heard of is invisionfree. Not sure of it entirely though.

*Am using Adblockplus, along with a malicious site blocker add on, that seems to work pretty well on here. Would recommend it to anybody, it works really nicely in terms of blocking ads and pop ups.

Haven't run into anything suspicious so far. Will be keeping my eyes peeled as well.

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Friday, 2013-04-05, 21:45

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-04-06, 07:10 | Message # 24
    Second Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    Quote (Fawkesfan1)
    * just did some checking via Google, and it seems as if these kinds of forums might have some issues with this... not entirely sure though sad
    Yes, most discussion sites are under constant attack by spammers and hackers who spread malware and viruses. They had the problem on CoS, and we have it constantly on my AvenueViet site. I'm not sure there's a way to block it.

Good that you don't have the problem, Fawkesfan. It may be the browser also, I use Mozilla Firefox on both my computers. Maybe I'll check and see if it happens with IE and Google Chrome also.

OK - I just tried. The problem is only with Mozilla Firefox. I don't have any spam with Internet Explorer. I should run a scan on my computers.

Oh, Aaron, you should know - at least two people have been unable to connect to this site. One from the US, the other from Australia and an old friend of yours. Maybe it's their browers too, I don't know but both of them tried to check this site out and couldn't get it to load. Thought I'd mention it.

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Saturday, 2013-04-06, 07:17

Fawkesfan1Date: Saturday, 2013-04-06, 16:05 | Message # 25
    Third Year
    Quote (FleurduJardin)
    Yes, most discussion sites are under constant attack by spammers and hackers who spread malware and viruses. They had the problem on CoS, and we have it constantly on my AvenueViet site. I'm not sure there's a way to block it.Good that you don't have the problem, Fawkesfan. It may be the browser also, I use Mozilla Firefox on both my computers. Maybe I'll check and see if it happens with IE and Google Chrome also.

OK - I just tried. The problem is only with Mozilla Firefox. I don't have any spam with Internet Explorer. I should run a scan on my computers.

Oh, Aaron, you should know - at least two people have been unable to connect to this site. One from the US, the other from Australia and an old friend of yours. Maybe it's their browers too, I don't know but both of them tried to check this site out and couldn't get it to load. Thought I'd mention it.

Yea I remember some of the stuff that hit CoS.

Been using Firefox as well, and haven't run into it. Is your version of it up to date?

Used it on Google and it worked, not sure about IE though.

Maybe, it wouldn't hurt. It's better to be safe than sorry on that one.

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-04-06, 19:04 | Message # 26
    Second Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    I've just visited the site logged out and didn't seem to get anything. If you get it again, please share a picture.
    I got the "Flashplayer upgrade" with the mention "Required" in bold again. I made a screen shot and will e-mail it to you, I don't know how to upload it to here without putting it on Photobucket first, and I don't want to take the time for that.

I was kind of hoping (so to speak) to get the "Your computer is about to crash" again (that's a scarier message, and some naive people may just click on it out of fear of crashing), so I could make a copy, but this time it didn't appear.

Anyway, Arry, I'm emailing you the screen shot of the "required upgrade" - that's definitely a spam and a scam, it floods your computer will all sorts of unwanted software, plus a task bar that I had the hardest time getting rid of, even after I ran a "System Restore" operation.

ETA: As I  was logging out, the Crash Alert message appeared on my screen. I made a screen shot and will e-mail you both pictures, Arry.

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Saturday, 2013-04-06, 19:20

MaelodyDate: Monday, 2013-04-08, 15:32 | Message # 27
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    Hey, Arry! Um, is there anyway you could bump the word count for the fan fiction forum? I can't post my chapter because it is 'too long', and posting it in small sections over and over again is just going to be a lot of work... :/

HandofGloryDate: Monday, 2013-04-08, 18:39 | Message # 28
    Just Received their Letter
    Quote (Maelody)
    Hey, Arry! Um, is there anyway you could bump the word count for the fan fiction forum? I can't post my chapter because it is 'too long', and posting it in small sections over and over again is just going to be a lot of work... :/

Oh, what is the word limit?  I didn't see what it would be.

MaelodyDate: Monday, 2013-04-08, 19:13 | Message # 29
    Second Year
    I don't know, but I know my first post of Seven definitely has more than 4,000 words in it.

ArryGrotterDate: Monday, 2013-04-08, 21:51 | Message # 30
    Third Year
    Hi Maelody! Great to see you back smile

I've quadrupled maximum message length to 20,000 characters. Unfortunately it's a forum-wide change, so I am a bit hesitant to make it too much bigger.

If this is still too much of a hassle, please let me know. smile

Fawkesfan1Date: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 03:12 | Message # 31
    Third Year
    Quotes are acting up lol

Tried to change the name from one to another and it wouldn't work right. As in pressing backspace only went forward -- and delete didn't work entirely either, only up to the last letter.

ArryGrotterDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 03:18 | Message # 32
    Third Year
    Weird haha

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 04:31 | Message # 33
    Second Year
    Arry, you were asking what error message people got when they tried to access this site and couldn't. Julie (Inkling7 on CoS and AV) told me that she gets a "Cannot connect to website" message.

Changing the subject - What's the maximum allowed length for a PM? I had written a longish message to ccollinsmith, got the message that I had "exceeded permitted length" and of course the message disappeared!!!! Aaaargh! cry -

ETA: Oh, never mind, I hadn't seen the message above about the PM length. Question answered. But there should be some sort of warning that one has exceeded the allowance, instead of a painstakingly typed message disappearing in cyberspace!

On the other hand, it's true, no more captchca, yay!!! smile

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 04:34

ArryGrotterDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 05:08 | Message # 34
    Third Year
    Fleur:

Hmm, I don't know what would be causing that. All I can suggest is trying another browser. It's a shame there's the issue - I'd really like to see Julie on here!

The message limit I changed was for the forums. The PM maximum length is set at 10,000 characters, and it's not something I can change unfortunately...

Good to hear that the captcha problems been solved though smile

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 08:31 | Message # 35
    Second Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    Hmm, I don't know what would be causing that. All I can suggest is trying another browser. It's a shame there's the issue - I'd really like to see Julie on here!
    I'll tell her that. Both to try changing brower, and that you'd be glad to see her. The "Can't connect" also happened to OldMotherCrow, though. She, too, complained about it - she tried to register here and wasn't able to.

I saw on CoS that that white square with weird messages, possibly carrying viruses, also happened to someone else, I'm not the only one. I can't post on CoS, so I couldn't tell the member (can't remember who it was) to try and change browsers. It only happens to me on Mozilla Firefox. But it does happen and keeps happening. Such a bother. angry - But it disappears once I log in, so I stay with it. wink

ArryGrotterDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 09:38 | Message # 36
    Third Year
    Unfortunately for some issues, there isn't much I can do without having to pay for premium services (for example, removing all advertising).

I would love to have not had to use the pre-made site architecture of ucoz, but it was always my intent to create a free location, and see whether it could be successful. I feel that the ucoz service does allow for a wide range of options compared to other services (I had previously done a lot of research into free website makers a couple of years ago when I tried to set up a site for the various HP film projects I was doing back then). But the reality of any free service is that there will always be limits on control.

That's not to say that I am not trying my best, and ucoz does allow a fair amount of control, but there are some things I just can't change.

MaelodyDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 18:15 | Message # 37
    Second Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    I've quadrupled maximum message length to 20,000 characters. Unfortunately it's a forum-wide change, so I am a bit hesitant to make it too much bigger.

I don't think that made it forum wide, because my chapter is only 4,091 words long and it keeps saying it won't publish because my Message Text is too long. :/

ArryGrotterDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 20:30 | Message # 38
    Third Year
    To be honest, 4000 words is probably outside 20,000 characters. I suggest you split it into two posts. Double posts are combined anyway, so it shouldn't be much different.

But tell me what happens please - I'd want to know haha

MaelodyDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 21:29 | Message # 39
    Second Year
    Oh! 20,000 characters! (smacks palm to head) I thought you meant 20,000 words. I'm sorry! Yeah, OK. I'll split it I guess.

Fawkesfan1Date: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 01:05 | Message # 40
    Third Year
    Been having some problems changing font colors when I edit a post.

[color=#000000][font color='yellow']Yellow[/font] Submarine[/color] <--  one example lol

Every time I try to edit anything to change font color, it shows up similarly. Anyone else running into this issue?

Forum » Hogsmeade Forums » Administration » Technical Issues
    Search: