[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Forum » Hogsmeade Forums » Administration » Technical Issues
    Technical Issues
    FleurduJardinDate: Friday, 2013-04-19, 05:58 | Message # 61
    Second Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    Arry, Inkling7 (Julie) has been trying to look in on here for days but is unable to. This is what she posted on my AV site:

<<YOu say ArryGrottter's site has good security... well it is so good none of my 3 browsers can access his site... Safari, Firefox or Chrome say they can't find the link... so c'est la vie... sad >>

Would you have an explanation or solution?

For me, I still have that square on the upper right of the screen with annoying ads (sometimes with sound, eeek!) or threatening messages ("Your computer is about to crash") but that disappears once I log in. So now I log in as soon as I get on the site, before I start browsing because that square obscures some of the posts. angry

Anyway, Julie would really like to come in on here, but apparently she can't. Any idea why? She's in Australia, practically next door to you so to speak (especially seen from here in the USA) - how come we can access this site and she can't, with any of her browsers?

ArryGrotterDate: Friday, 2013-04-19, 06:57 | Message # 62
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why the site is not working for her, sorry.

I am also aware of the white advertising box, and unfortunately that is also out of my control unless I wish to spend $100 a year. I'll only consider this if the site is particularly popular.

FlyingTigerDate: Saturday, 2013-04-20, 06:02 | Message # 63
    First Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why the site is not working for her, sorry.
    If Mohamed can't go to the mountain, can the mountain go to Mohamed? In other words, can't you join our site so you can talk to her? Unless YOU can't get on our site, which would be a riot! lol

Any advanced enough technology is undistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-04-20, 06:19 | Message # 64
    Third Year
    laugh

Yes, I can access AV. I think I made an account a few years back. I'll have to remember to pop by and say hi smile

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-05-12, 22:19 | Message # 65
    Second Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    Yes, I can access AV. I think I made an account a few years back. I'll have to remember to pop by and say hi smile
    A few YEARS back? My!! Which username did you pick? It sure wasn't "Arrygrotter". Was your account validated? Did you post at all?

There were three accounts that were opened "a few years back" that looked like they were from CoS members, but I don't think any of them was from NZ.

Anyway, I think the best thing would be for you to re-register. I sent you an email on the subject. Let me know what username you'll be under, so I can find it among the flood of spammers that we get every day.

See you soon, I hope! smile

Added (2013-04-20, 21:04)
    ---------------------------------------------
    ETA - Saw your registration "application" just now. Validated it right away.

I suggest  you post something, anything, as soon as possible. Then we'll have your IP on record so we don't ban it by mistake - or can find it and unban it if it gets banned along with the flood of spammers we get every day. biggrin

Added (2013-05-12, 22:19)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Aha, now we'll see how long it takes for a double post to show up as a separate post. I was the last poster here almost a month ago.

ETA - Aargh... Still adding to the same post, drats.

I'll have to start a thread, hope you don't mind, Harry! smile

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Sunday, 2013-05-12, 22:22

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-05-12, 22:26 | Message # 66
    Second Year
    My apologies, Arry, for using your site for this and starting a new thread for it. I tried to post in the general "Technical Issues" thread but because I was the last poster there, although it was about a month ago, my post didn't show up as a new post and may be overlooked. I just want to let the people who try to register on AV know this:

I would like to tell the people who register on AV to please let me know when you do and give me your username. Our site is being overrun by
    spammers (about 500 a day now) so we tend to zap would-be new members
    indiscriminately if we don't recognize their usernames,especially if it
    doesn't make obvious sense, or is un-related to Harry Potter or AV.
    Actually we have .even deleted Vietnamese names...

I've had to ask at least two members to re-register, and have just asked a third or
    fourth one who registered last week (that person PM'd me here, but I
    hadn't visited the site for a while, sorry!) I'll make a point from now
    on to check my PM box here regularly.

However, I'll be very busy with problems in RL in the next few days and weeks, so please be patient.

Thank you all, and thanks, Arry, for letting me use this site. Your account
    on AV of course was validated immediately since you used the same ID!!! wink

ArryGrotterDate: Monday, 2013-05-13, 08:07 | Message # 67
    Third Year
    Quote (FleurduJardin)
    Aha, now we'll see how long it takes for a double post to show up as a separate post. I was the last poster here almost a month ago.

ETA - Aargh... Still adding to the same post, drats.

I'm actually disappointed that this has happened :/ Might actually adjust things so merging doesn't happen. If that leads to problems, I can change it back...

ArryGrotterDate: Monday, 2013-05-13, 08:36 | Message # 68
    Third Year
    I'm going to merge this thread back in then Fleur, as it relates to the discussion that has been taking place there.

I've changed the forum settings to allow multiple consecutive posts because I find that it is ridiculous that posts one month apart merge.

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 06:13 | Message # 69
    Second Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    I'm going to merge this thread back in then Fleur, as it relates to the discussion that has been taking place there.
    That's fine Arry, thanks, that's what I wanted to do in the first place.

Good about multiposting - it does no harm. On CoS you could post again after 3 days, and your post would be a new, separate one.

On the DarkMark, your double post appeared as a new post, but a Mod would sweep down on you, you were supposed to wait three months before posting again after yourself. rolleyes

On AV you can multipost all you want - post count doesn't matter, not for anything - no Hogsmeade, no progressing in your studies... wink

To each site its own rules. biggrin

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 06:18 | Message # 70
    Second Year
    P.S. on AV: Should one of you find himself/herself banned, just PM me here, or email me if you have my email address. Because of our huge number of spammers, we tend to ban IPs with a heavy hand. I even banned one of the other Admins once, he wasn't amused. The funniest and most annoying was my banning myself - that happened a couple of times. lol

ArryGrotterDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 06:21 | Message # 71
    Third Year
    Quote (FleurduJardin)
    Good about multiposting - it does no harm. On CoS you could post again after 3 days, and your post would be a new, separate one.

Yeah, I liked this system, and was hoping something similar would happen here, but unfortunately there didn't appear to be any time limit for merging.

Multiple posts hours apart are annoying though, so next time I suggest you just edit your post tongue

sjcuk13Date: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 14:40 | Message # 72
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    Sorry I know this is off topic but I really have to ask.
    Arry how did you manage to ban yourself? It shoulda like something I would do lol.

ArryGrotterDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 22:24 | Message # 73
    Third Year
    Quote (sjcuk13)
    Arry how did you manage to ban yourself? It shoulda like something I would do lol.

It was Fleur that banned herself, and own her own forum, not here.

Luckily I haven't recieved the large number of spammers AV has so hadn't had to ban any IP addresses.

FleurduJardinDate: Friday, 2013-05-17, 06:41 | Message # 74
    Second Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    Multiple posts hours apart are annoying though, so next time I suggest you just edit your post
    I will, this was just a test. biggrin

Quote (ArryGrotter)
    It was Fleur that banned herself, and own her own forum, not here.
    Yes, it was I, and multiple times too. I banned both of my co-Admins at one time or another because they were lurking (without logging in) from work and I didn't recognize the IPs (they were not amused!), and I banned myself several times, either because my ISP had changed my IP without my realizing it, or because I was on a roll, banning every IP that showed a guest "Viewing Profile" (which usually means someone, most frequently a spammer, trying to register) - If a regular member views his or her profile, they show up as a member. A "guest" is suspicious, because it's difficult to separate a bright needle (a genuine new member) in the haystack of spammers.

In this case (my banning myself), it was because I was on line on AV on two different browsers, one showing as "Administrator" or "LadyDragon", the other one showing as "guest" because I hadn't logged on. And I was on a tear, zapping spammers who come in  in droves, so I wasn't even looking. Earlier today, after having been off-line for over 24 hours, I had over 600 "new accounts", all of them spammers. The record is over 1,200 spammers in a couple of days. So I ban and zap practically without looking, which is why I'm asking people who register on AV to let me know they're going to do it, and also that once they're registered members, to log in with their usernames as soon as they access AV. "Guests" with unrecognized IPs are banned out of hand, I just don't have the time to check every new registration.

I'm more careful now, about checking any IP before banning it. Mine, trying to remember if I'm logged in from a different location, and I also have more or less memorized the IPs of frequent posters. But accidents still happen.

So, at the risk of repeating myself, please let me know if you want to register on AV, and once you do, please log in right away. Don't lurk. smile

sjcuk13Date: Friday, 2013-05-17, 09:19 | Message # 75
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    Lol (sorry I shouldn't laugh but that is quite funny). On a mental note must remember to always log in :).

FleurduJardinDate: Friday, 2013-05-17, 22:22 | Message # 76
    Second Year
    Quote (sjcuk13)
    Lol (sorry I shouldn't laugh but that is quite funny). On a mental note must remember to always log in :)
    Why shouldn't you laugh? I do myself (even if I'm annoyed at myself). It's actually quite funny. lol

After banning myself, I have, either to log in from a different IP when I can (it depends where I am, and whether the computer I use has AOL, which gives you a different IP), or to call another Admin to ask them to unban me.  Actually, I usually call a friend and give him/her the password and instructions for unbanning. Very embarrassing.

Fawkesfan1Date: Thursday, 2013-05-23, 00:25 | Message # 77
    Third Year
    Is it just me, or are smileys not working right now? They aren't loading in the message text area.

ArryGrotterDate: Thursday, 2013-05-23, 04:14 | Message # 78
    Third Year
    Which smilies are you having problems with? They can sometimes not load if there is a period straight after them.

Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2013-05-24, 22:43 | Message # 79
    Third Year
    All of them, they just don't load... and neither do the message text either. I think it might be javascript related. I'm on Google Chrome right now...

Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2013-05-24, 22:46 | Message # 80
    Third Year
    Huh...? It works on Firefox just fine. Must be something with Google Chrome then. Anyone else having this issue, who is using Google Chrome?

Edit: This doesn't make a lot of sense. I have Ad-block on both here and on Google Chrome. I wonder if it works somewhat differently on Google Chrome for some reason... *scratches head* Noticed that I can't log in, via the top log in either. Can on FF though.

Yep it's Adblock related. Thanks you guys... you do your job TOO well on Google. The only way to get it to work on Google, is to turn it off.

Going to double check to see if there's a way to have it on like on FF, only without blocking everything XD.

It seems as if FF has a leg up on Google in regards to this, they have a 'Show Tabs on Flash and Java' check... which for whatever reason isn't there for Google's version...

Tried changing the settings and nothing worked on that end sad

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Friday, 2013-05-24, 23:13

Forum » Hogsmeade Forums » Administration » Technical Issues
    Search: