[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Page 1 of 1
    Forum » Hogsmeade Forums » Administration » Information on Signing Up
    Information on Signing Up
    ArryGrotterDate: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 05:09 | Message # 1
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    Hi there!

So you want to sign up - that's great! But before you go to the registration form, you should probably just know a few things.

Firstly, while I have created these forums, the forum software and registration process is not my creation. (That sort of stuff is well above my head). This site is made with ucoz.com, which uses its own registration system. I, NOR ANYONE IN THESE FORUMS HAVE CONTROL OVER REGISTRATION QUESTIONS. To have separate registration costs money, and the purpose of this site is to avoid costs.

So please know that when registering you are registering for ALL ucoz.com made websites, but you are likely to only use your account on this site. This is why some odd questions may be asked of you.

Edit: It's come to my attention that some of the questions with an asterisk next to them do not have to be entered in order to register. If you find one of these, please let me know so I can add the information to this post.

While your name is required, if you wish there is a setting underneath it so that it can be viewed by no one. You can also just use initials.
    Edit: Accounts can NOT be deleted, so your decision here is permanent!

You can also hide your date of birth.

For the "personal photo" question, no I am not running a dating site (lol). You will have to add a picture here, but any will do. No one will see this on these forums.
    Edit: Apparently you can still register without this being required, even though there is an asterisk next to it.

You can choose to upload an avatar, but this is not required. This will be the image that appears in the forums, and you can add or change it at a later date.

If you have any issue or concern about registration, please let me know here. smile

Another Edit: There's been reports that people registering with an AOL email have not been receiving the confirmation email. If possible, please use a different email address.

SpacecadetDate: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 11:56 | Message # 2
    First Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    It let me skip the personal photo even though it had a * next to it.

Thanks for setting this up smile

CAPTCHA will be the death of me!

SchlubalybubDate: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 11:57 | Message # 3
    First Year
    Group: Students
    I agree. So...much...CAPTCHA...

But yeah, I got that it wasn't your fault. Good job!

halfbreedloverDate: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 11:58 | Message # 4
    Just Received their Letter
    Group: Slytherins
    Yay, maybe it isn't goodbye forever!  And you've got a chat.

"Today's cure is tomorrow's headache." Karl Pilkington

ccollinsmithDate: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 15:06 | Message # 5
    First Year
    Hey all!

Yeah, I was able to skip the personal photo too. smile

Wondering, though, Arry... Is there any way to set the profiles so that all our personal information is not showing up? I would rather not have my personal info available for the entire Web to see.

If not, can my profile be deleted so that I can register again without including specific personal details?

(and yes, thanks for setting this up!)

THE GLITTELUTION WILL NEVER DIE!
    viva la glittelution!

Message edited by ccollinsmith - Thursday, 2013-04-04, 16:44

FleurduJardinDate: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 22:26 | Message # 6
    Second Year
    Hello Aaron, Hi everybody!!

Nice to see you all again! Thanks for opening this, Aaron!

See you guys and gals around! smile

ETA - Aren't the avatars enabled yet? And I couldn't find out how to put in a signature. But I guess I'll find out in due time.

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Thursday, 2013-04-04, 22:28

ccollinsmithDate: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 22:42 | Message # 7
    First Year
    Hi Fleur!

It's good to see you again! I have always kept you in my Friends list...

*huggles*

THE GLITTELUTION WILL NEVER DIE!
    viva la glittelution!

Fawkesfan1Date: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 23:27 | Message # 8
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Quote (Schlubalybub)
    I agree. So...much...CAPTCHA... But yeah, I got that it wasn't your fault. Good job!
    Hi Arry! Thanks for taking the time to make these forums.

@ Schlubalybub: Yea I wanted to throw my laptop at it at first lol. It's understandable why it's there though, security wise.

Fawkes from COS :).

ArryGrotterDate: Friday, 2013-04-05, 01:24 | Message # 9
    Third Year
    Thanks all you guys for signing up! I've edited the info above a bit thanks to your information

Quote (ccollinsmith)
    Wondering, though, Arry... Is there any way to set the profiles so that all our personal information is not showing up? I would rather not have my personal info available for the entire Web to see.

If not, can my profile be deleted so that I can register again without including specific personal details?

There is a way of changing visibility of your personal details, but it's quite a strenuous process using Ucoz's system. If you want me to explain this further, send me a PM and I'll make a thread about it.

Quote (FleurduJardin)
    Aren't the avatars enabled yet? And I couldn't find out how to put in a signature. But I guess I'll find out in due time.

There was an option for adding an avatar during registration. This was different to the personal photo question.

You should be able to change your avatar by pressing "My profile" at the top of the page, and then "Edit user details".

Your signature can also be changed on that page.

Edit: I've added a new thread detailing this.

Yeah, I'm finding out all this stuff too.

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-04-07, 04:19 | Message # 10
    Second Year
    Hi Cindy! Great to see you!

Did you change your email address? As soon as I found out that CoS was closing, I emailed everyone from CoS I had an address for, but the message to you bounced back. So I guess you never did get my message. I was suggesting that you all joined my site, AvenueViet, where we have HP-related subforums and Hogsmeade-style games. As I said in another post, my site and this one need not be in competition against each other. We can complement each other. I intend to participate here as much as I did to CoS before Morgoth banned me.

Aaron, I did put in an avatar when I registered, but for some reason it doesn't show up. I didn't see where to create a signature, I'll have to go back and explore a bit more.

Added (2013-04-07, 04:19)
    ---------------------------------------------

Quote (ArryGrotter)
    Edit: Once you're through, you won't have to use Captcha again on this site! laugh

Another Edit: There's been reports that people registering with an AOL email have not been receiving the confirmation email. If possible, please use a different email address.
    That isn't true about Captcha - you still have to enter the code every time you want to send a private message. It's a pain in the neck, first because those entertwined letters and digits are difficult to make out, and second because if you mistype or misread and enter the wrong code, your message disappears and you have to write it all over again. Except, having had to do this a couple of times, now I copy the message before I enter the code, so I can paste it if I get an error message and my prose disappears.

Re: AOL, there was a similar problem at CoS, they had to use a different link for account validation. But I found out that sometimes the confirmation email got shunted into the Spam folder. At least it did for me, but it didn't for other people who use AOL. So, the best thing is to use another email provider. smile

ArryGrotterDate: Sunday, 2013-04-07, 06:00 | Message # 11
    Third Year
    "That isn't true about Captcha - you still have to enter the code every time you want to send a private message. "

Fleur, you'll be happy to know that I have figured out a way to stop this.

Captcha in PMs are unavoidable for the user group "Users", but is removed for those in the "Checked" group.
    I've adjusted things so that people will move into this group after 3 days and 5 posts. You should be added to this group overnight, so if PMs still require Captcha, let me know.

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-04-07, 06:59 | Message # 12
    Second Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    Captcha in PMs are unavoidable for the user group "Users", but is removed for those in the "Checked" group.I've adjusted things so that people will move into this group after 3 days and 5 posts. You should be added to this group overnight, so if PMs still require Captcha, let me know
    I've gone from "Just received letter" to "Users" to "Muggles". I guess I'll be on "Checked" tomorrow, I have 3 times 5 posts by now! lol

We shouldn't have Muggles on this site, actually. Since we're "First Year", etc., we're all Hogwarts students, aren't we? wink

Arry, just sent you a PM, still had to put in a code though this time it was very readable numerals, not entertwined script. Be grateful for small favours.

Should you be a "First Year" since you're an Admin? You should be Hogswarts staff, shouldn't you?

How many posts does it take to move from one year to the next? Not that it matters, since we're all already in Hogsmeade, LOL. I mean, that's the name of the site, right? biggrin

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Sunday, 2013-04-07, 07:12

ArryGrotterDate: Sunday, 2013-04-07, 08:13 | Message # 13
    Third Year
    Quote (FleurduJardin)
    I've gone from "Just received letter" to "Users" to "Muggles". I guess I'll be on "Checked" tomorrow, I have 3 times 5 posts by now!

We shouldn't have Muggles on this site, actually. Since we're "First Year", etc., we're all Hogwarts students, aren't we?

I renamed "Checked" to "Students", so there'll be another change tomorrow tongue

It's two different systems of ranking. Very confusing, but it should work ok.

Quote (FleurduJardin)
    Arry, just sent you a PM, still had to put in a code though this time it was very readable numerals, not entertwined script. Be grateful for small favours.

Yeah, I managed to change the captcha difficulty, but not able to remove it completely (at least for "Users" which are now "Muggles"). I thought it'd help at least a bit for now smile

Quote (FleurduJardin)
    Should you be a "First Year" since you're an Admin? You should be Hogswarts staff, shouldn't you?

laugh Yeah, two different system of ranking that probably won't align that well - one's based on posts and the other on permissions.

Quote (FleurduJardin)
    How many posts does it take to move from one year to the next? Not that it matters, since we're all already in Hogsmeade, LOL. I mean, that's the name of the site, right?

I set that up a couple of day ok.

I ended up with:
    1st Year: 10 posts
    2nd Year: 50 posts
    3rd Year: 100 posts
    4th Year: 200 posts
    5th Year: 300 posts
    6th Year: 450 posts
    7th Year: 600 posts
    Graudate: 800 posts
    and for 100 posts, I decided to make that "Always" smile

Fawkesfan1Date: Sunday, 2013-04-07, 16:14 | Message # 14