[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Forum » Hobbies » Literature » Your Current Read
    Your Current Read
    freelantzerDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 20:59 | Message # 21
    First Year
    Group: Hufflepuffs
    I saw a "letter" (for lack of better term) that Butcher wrote to fans who freak out on him for doing things other than writing Dresden, like just having a real life. He told them off in a great way.

I love Dresden and am thinking of checking out Codex Alera. Heard good things about it, but let me know what you think of it, Fleur, after you've read more. smile

SchlubalybubDate: Sunday, 2013-04-14, 13:26 | Message # 22
    First Year
    Group: Students
    I'm currently reading Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino years by Sue Townsend

FlyingTigerDate: Sunday, 2013-05-05, 06:08 | Message # 23
    First Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    As I mentioned before, after The Dresden Files, I'm starting on the Codex Alera series, Jim Butcher's other series. It's about the coming of age of a young man in a pseudo-Roman civilization in a universe full of magic and nasty beasties. I'm enjoying it. Very different from the Dresden Files as far as the setting is concerned, but the same kind of action and humor.

Fleur, how far into it did you get? Dawna, are you gonna start on it? It's a good read. I'm at the end of Book 3 right now. My problem is, the evolution of the main character is too predictable.

Added (2013-05-05, 06:08)
    ---------------------------------------------
    ETA: Dawna, come visit us at AvenueViet, we have discussions going on Dresden and on Codex Alera. You'll get an idea about the latter. smile

Any advanced enough technology is undistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Message edited by FlyingTiger - Sunday, 2013-05-05, 06:06

sjcuk13Date: Sunday, 2013-05-05, 09:35 | Message # 24
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    I am rereading The Cry of the Icemark. I love these books such a fantastick story.

PottermnmDate: Saturday, 2013-05-11, 03:21 | Message # 25
    Just Received their Letter
    Group: Gryffindors
    I am re reading  " The Historian " by Elizabeth Kostova, I am definetly not into vampires at all , specially not the series that shall not be named. But I like this one pretty much .Its not that big  of a deal and received  mixed reviews. Yet, I like it . There is something about the way it is written that scares the hell out of me , I suppose that is what I like. I like books that are narrated in such a way I can feel immersed .

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-05-12, 22:02 | Message # 26
    Second Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    Quote (freelantzer)
    love Dresden and am thinking of checking out Codex Alera. Heard good things about it, but let me know what you think of it, Fleur, after you've read more. smile
    I enjoy the Codex Alera. It makes me pull all-nighters the way the Dresden Files did. biggrin

Here's the link to the discussion on it on AV:

Codex Alera

freelantzerDate: Monday, 2013-05-13, 03:06 | Message # 27
    First Year
    ^Cool. I will have to read it this summer then. Thanks for the update. smile

FuryDate: Monday, 2013-05-13, 05:51 | Message # 28
    First Year
    Read the first book of the Sookie Stackhouse series a couple days ago, now onto book 2.

sjcuk13Date: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 14:43 | Message # 29
    Second Year
    Jumping on the band wagon a bit late here but I found the hunger games at a charity book stall. And have to admit it is a good read. It makes me wouldn't why I was trying to avoid it all this time?

FleurduJardinDate: Friday, 2013-05-17, 06:51 | Message # 30
    Second Year
    Quote (sjcuk13)
    Jumping on the band wagon a bit late here but I found the hunger games at a charity book stall. And have to admit it is a good read. It makes me wouldn't why I was trying to avoid it all this time?
    Yes, why were you? biggrin

Have you also read the two other books, Catching Fire and Mockingjay?

Have you seen the movie? What did you think?

sjcuk13Date: Friday, 2013-05-17, 09:12 | Message # 31
    Second Year
    I haven't read the other books yet. I will do though ... As soon as I can guilt trip someone into buying them for me. :). Or I get payed from work.

The movie I did watch a few month ago when I was stuck on a bus for a few hours. I like the movie well enough but that's what made me deside to read the book.

I think I was put off it by it being described as an "end of the word as we know it type book" and at the time I really couldn't have delt with any more misery.

Saying that I got put off "the age of 5 series" by trudie canavan and that trilogy is such an amazing and fantastic story with an unbelievable ending.

leah49Date: Wednesday, 2013-05-22, 00:47 | Message # 32
    Currently reading: Waterfalls (Glenbrooke #6) by Robin Jones Gunn
    Christian Romance

Thank you for creating the forums that may keep us together after the closure of CoS.

xhanax315Date: Wednesday, 2013-05-22, 03:31 | Message # 33
    First Year
    I've finally managed to start PoA tonight, it's about time really since I've finshed CoS about three weeks ago. I'm still reading Les Miserables, Pretty Little Liars #11: Stunning, and It by Stephen King.

gelowo93Date: Sunday, 2013-05-26, 11:57 | Message # 34
    I'm reading Christine Falls, the first book in the Quirke series, and am about halfway through. I keep taking week long breaks between reading chapters though so I can't remember what's happening any more.

Morning_StarDate: Monday, 2013-05-27, 15:32 | Message # 35
    I'm reading A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. It's the last book in the Wheel of Time series, which makes me a bit sad, but about 350 pages in, I find I enjoy it a lot. Hope I like the ending as well!

freelantzerDate: Wednesday, 2013-05-29, 04:17 | Message # 36
    First Year
    I have so many current reads right now I can't even keep track. I'm in the middle of Fever 1793, On Writing, Behind the Attic Wall, The Elements of Style, Insurgent and I don't know what else. It's a good thing summer is almost here so I can stop grading and start reading.  book

Britreads4funDate: Sunday, 2013-06-16, 06:44 | Message # 37
    First Year
    I'm currently plodding my way through "A Dance with Dragons" and speeding my way through everything Tamora Pierce has ever written. Rereads of the HP books are coming soon, I think.

freelantzerDate: Sunday, 2013-06-16, 17:38 | Message # 38
    First Year
    Just finished Fever 1793 and On Writing. I've abandoned Insurgent for now--didn't immediately catch my interest, and I have other priorities right now. I've started Under the Dome in anticipation for the TV show premiere. I won't finish it before then, but I'll make my best effort. I'm also reading Admit One: My Life in Film, which I might not stick with. The content is interesting enough, but the writing is so bad! Filled with trite cliches and confusing organization. shrug

leah49Date: Saturday, 2013-06-29, 04:58 | Message # 39
    Full Disclosure by Dee Henderson.  I like how she ties all her other works together, one big universe.

Thank you for creating the forums that may keep us together after the closure of CoS.

Message edited by leah49 - Saturday, 2013-06-29, 04:59

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-06-29, 19:36 | Message # 40
    Second Year
    I'm rereading Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. One picks up quite a bit the second time around, that one missed on first reading. :)

Forum » Hobbies » Literature » Your Current Read
    Search: