[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Page 1 of 1
    Forum » Harry Potter » The Books - Character Analyses » Neville Longbottom
    Neville Longbottom
    halfbreedloverDate: Monday, 2013-04-08, 06:25 | Message # 1
    Just Received their Letter
    Group: Slytherins
    1.) Why do you believe Neville had such trouble, both socially and academically in the early part of the series?

2.) What caused him to change?

3.) Did your view of Neville change as he matured, or did you always believe he had that potential in him?

4.) What effect did his parents' condition have on him? Do you think it had an impact on how his family treated him? If so, what effect did that have on him?

5.) How do you view his relationship with the Trio?

"Today's cure is tomorrow's headache." Karl Pilkington

ccollinsmithDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 05:06 | Message # 2
    First Year
    Group: Slytherins
    1.) Why do you believe Neville had such trouble, both socially and academically in the early part of the series?

I think that Neville had a lot of issues resulting from the attack on his parents, and these were then exacerbated by his family's treatment of him.

As a consequence of these problems, Neville has no self-confidence. He thinks he is not brave, that he has little-to-no magic ability, that he can't remember anything. Neville has gotten a lot of negative feedback from his family, and he thinks he is kind of pathetic. No wonder he is a basket case by the time he gets to Hogwarts - to the point of trying to convince the Sorting Hat that he is not brave enough for Gryffindor!

2.) What caused him to change?

Several things, I think:
    • Discovering his aptitude for herbology. I think this helped him to overcome the notion that he was an academic failure who had nothing to offer in the Wizarding World.
    • Dumbledore's Army. He finally had a chance to practice DADA spellcasting in a supportive environment among friends.
    • His accidental encounter with Harry and friends at St. Mungo's. Honestly, I think this is the biggest factor of all. Before that, he was too embarrassed by what had happened to his parents even to tell his friends. Then, his friends found him out... and didn't treat him any differently. I think that's the real turning point in Neville's story.

3.) Did your view of Neville change as he matured, or did you always believe he had that potential in him?

Yes, my view of Neville did change. Actually, I first encountered Neville in the films, so I thought of him as a comic character. On my first time reading PS/SS, I still missed some obvious hints that Neville had a more crucial role to play. It's clear from PS/SS (such as his fight with Malfoy's gang at the Quidditch match) that he always had Gryffindor potential, but it takes a long time for it to come to the fore. It's in OotP that we finally start to see the Gryffindor in Neville.

4.) What effect did his parents' condition have on him? Do you think it had an impact on how his family treated him? If so, what effect did that have on him?

I think it had a huge impact on him. I think I answered the rest of the question, though, in question 1. smile

5.) How do you view his relationship with the Trio?

Interesting question. He's kind of like the 4th member of the Trio... but he's not quite in the inner-inner circle. As he develops, we see the Trio rely on him more and more - to the point that when we get to DH, Harry entrusts Neville with the knowledge that Nagini must die. And we all know how that ends up! wink

I think it's pretty clear from the Epilogue that he is a cherished part of the Potters' lives. By that point, he seems pretty much a part of the family.

THE GLITTELUTION WILL NEVER DIE!
    viva la glittelution!

Message edited by ccollinsmith - Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 05:08

Forum » Harry Potter » The Books - Character Analyses » Neville Longbottom
    • Page 1 of 1
    Search: