[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Page 1 of 1
    Forum » Harry Potter » The Fandom » Farewell CoS Forums
    Farewell CoS Forums
    ArryGrotterDate: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 07:22 | Message # 1
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    The Chamber of Secrets Forums are set to close in July.

Leave any comments or memories here to be preserved.

Fawkesfan1Date: Thursday, 2013-04-04, 23:49 | Message # 2
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Woot!

Saved some stuff onto my computer. Might try to upload it onto my photobucket to share here smile

Really going to miss that place.

Memories under spoiler cut since they stretch the screen O_O. (sorry about that)

Testing.

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Friday, 2013-04-05, 14:47

xhanax315Date: Friday, 2013-04-05, 04:13 | Message # 3
    First Year
    Group: Students
    This is really distressing, but hopefully we'll get enough of our regular members to join. That being said, I hope I'll be able to download some stuff too. I haven't had a chance yet. I'll have to take some screenshots of the forum as well.

ccollinsmithDate: Friday, 2013-04-05, 04:45 | Message # 4
    First Year
    Group: Slytherins
    I've downloaded a bunch of stuff, but I'm installing Windows in Parallels on an iMac right now because there's a Win program that might be able to download the whole website. (Mugglewizard posted the link)

So I'm gonna try that. I'll let you know if I succeed. cool

Might be hard with a dynamic site. (He's only tried it on a static site).

ETA: Didn't work. Didn't really expect it to. So it's back to downloading individual threads again. wink

THE GLITTELUTION WILL NEVER DIE!
    viva la glittelution!

Message edited by ccollinsmith - Friday, 2013-04-05, 05:05

FuryDate: Friday, 2013-04-05, 05:31 | Message # 5
    First Year
    Group: Hufflepuffs
    biggrin didn't expect to see my name in one of those Shack quotes, but there it was! 

Already said my initial goodbyes on CoS forums, but we still have till July to be a part of it. Thanks to Aaron though for creating these forums and keeping the community alive. Hopefully we'll have many of the dedicated and well known forum members here.

FleurduJardinDate: Friday, 2013-04-05, 05:58 | Message # 6
    Second Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    Oh it's so nice to see all these familiar usernames again!!!  Hi, everyone! bye

I asked Morgoth to reinstate me on CoS just for me to say goodbye to all my  friends. I made so many real, good, solid friendships over there. I miss them all and would like a chance to say Thank You and Goodbye, including to the Admins and Mods - whatever my quarrels with some of them and the banning of my group, I have excellent, warm memories of CoS.

Do you know that almost a whole third of the on-line messages I got on my husband's obituary page were from CoS members, including Aaron? Thanks, Aaron, and thanks for opening this. You put a lot of work on this and did a great job in a very short time.

Some of CoS have also joined my own site, AvenueViet. This is not a HP-dedicated site, but we do have two HP-related sub-forums. I have posted the link to this forum on mine - we need not be competitors, we can belong to both sites and have fun.

The link is www.avenueviet.com/forums. The two HP-related subforums are L'Avenue Harry Potter and AV's Chamber of Secrets (the latter being a restricted access subforum, a bit like Hogsmeade is on CoS).

We also have some of the games played on CoS' Hogsmeade (Ten Books, Ten Movies, Take it to thenext track, Ten Songs, etc.) Do come visit.

I intend to be active here and try to recruit more members too. smile

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Friday, 2013-04-05, 06:36

Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2013-04-05, 14:44 | Message # 7
    Third Year
    Quote (xhanax315)
    This is really distressing, but hopefully we'll get enough of our regular members to join. That being said, I hope I'll be able to download some stuff too. I haven't had a chance yet. I'll have to take some screenshots of the forum as well.
    Yea it is, hana. Hopefully. We'll have to let them know about the site via OWL as well. Hope that you're able to do so, in terms of being able to do both of those.

@ Fleur: Ltns smile

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Friday, 2013-04-05, 14:47

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-04-07, 17:46 | Message # 8
    Second Year
    Can someone tell me how to save some of the threads from CoS? I'd like to keep the "Harry Potter Translations" thread (I'm a translator in RL), there were a lot of interesting and insightful posts that it would be a pity to commit to oblivion...

Thanks for any tip you could give me.

I'll always have very fond memories of CoS, even if I didn't see eye to eye with some of the Mods... I made so many good, lasting friendships there.

Fawkesfan1Date: Sunday, 2013-04-07, 17:59 | Message # 9
    Third Year
    This was originally mentioned to me by charlotte_snape over on COS, so credit and thanks to her for posting it.

Originally Posted by Charlotte_Snape 
    Hey Fawkesfan This is what I'm doing if you want to try it as well:

Right clicking off to the side of the page, and select "save as".

When the file window pops up, save it (make sure the "file type" says "webpage complete")

Now go to your downloads. You should see a .htm file and a folder (the folder is linked to the htm file - it stores the css codes for the page you're saving).

Double click the .htm file to open it up. It should open in your browser with all of the smilies and avatars intact 

If it works, you can keep doing this for any page you want to save. Just make sure that each page you save has a unique name (an easy way is to add page numbers to each file name before you save). I discovered this when I started saving pages on the groups -- the computer has no idea what page you're on. It will name every file by default w/the name of the group you're browsing, so it's up to you to keep track of what you're saving.

And I know what you mean b/c some of the funniest posts are nothing but smilies Well, hope that helps

That's one way, the other way is to go and press the 'thread tools' drop down button and go down to the third button that says 'download this thread' and click it. It only saves threads onto word pad though. The other you have to do a page at a time, but it saves almost everything on it.

Hope these help smile

HandofGloryDate: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 16:20 | Message # 10
    Just Received their Letter
    I always stayed around the Quidditch pitch, not really meeting most of the other HP fans. Then I started my fanfics, pretty much as soon as the forums were announced to be closed lol But hopefully I get to meet the people I knew in the QP and more others as well!

MaelodyDate: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 21:01 | Message # 11
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    I've downloaded many of my favorite fan fictions, and stories I've always mean to read but haven't gotten around to them yet. I'm going to miss the tons of fan fanfiction that CoS had up, and all of the people I became friends with. Granted, all of those friends were from years ago and have never really come back (I have a different name there that has been a part of the group since 2006. I forgot my password for the longest time and so I created Maelody, but by then I was done with my old username, even after I found the password, so I just kept Mae) smile

I will miss the people mostly, I made many friends who I continued to stay in contact with even in the outside world. I think I may actually cry when it is officially gone. sad

FlyingTigerDate: Friday, 2013-04-12, 19:19 | Message # 12
    First Year
    Though at the end we had big problems with the CoS Admins and a group of us from AvenueViet were banned, starting with Fleur and me, I have very good memories of CoS. I had a lot of fun, made some good friends, learned quite a lot about a lot of subjects, from world affairs to doing graphics (thanks to the competitions and games like Dragon Quidditch, and the Holiday Calendar).

I'll always have fond memories of my time there. I hope that, between this site and AvenueViet, we'll manage to recreate the sense of friendship and camaraderie we had with the other members, even when we didn't always agree. If we did, it'd be boring to death, wouldn't it? Arguments (polite ones) are the spice of debates and chats. yes cool

Any advanced enough technology is undistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 07:18 | Message # 13
    Second Year
    It was wonderful when it lasted. I really had a great time there.

In fact, during my husband's long fight with illness before it took him, I closed down AvenueViet, I just didn't have the time and focus necessary to monitor the site, and my two fellow Admins were on their part also too busy with their RLs. But I kept going to CoS for distraction and support. I got a lot of that on CoS and for that I shall always be grateful. As I said before, so many CoS members took the time and effort to post their condolences on my husband's obit page on-line, I was moved to (more) tears.

Talking of my husband's illness and passing away - I hope our fearless leader Arry will forgive me if I go off topic for three minutes (each video being one and a half minutes) and ask you to look at the videos I made in my husband's memory. There are two versions, a solo and a duet.

Here's the link to the duet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM3t7wx8Wvw

The link to the solo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZRb66Wg6M0

And the link to the poll, to vote on which one you prefer and/or post comments - you have to be an AV member, though.

http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3369

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Saturday, 2013-04-13, 07:20

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-06-30, 15:29 | Message # 14
    Second Year
    CoS's closure has been postponed for a few months. I can't help but wonder whether the stunning announcement wasn't just a ploy to boost a flagging participation. If so, it worked beautifully. Lots of oldies came back to say goodbye, then got involved in debates and stuck around. My own "Never-Ending Party", which became the "Actually Ending Party" hadn't seen so much participation in years. At one time, only Merry Marge valiantly tried to keep it going - Bill and I, along with our AV group, couldn't do it since we were banned from the Quibbler before being totally banned from the whole site. Now it's jumping, with both oldies and newbies posting, way over the 1,500 posts limit. Not that I'm complaining, I like that thread and always bemoaned the fact that the first version of it, which I started, had been deleted without warning or archiving. But that's beside the point. Back on topic, like I said in another post on this site, it doesn't take months (nor teary-eyed theatrics) to close a chat site. Pffft!

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2013-11-26, 08:35 | Message # 15
    Second Year
    CoS closure has been postponed again. I truly believe Morgoth doesn't intend ever to close it. It's just a ploy to bring members back. It's a rotten thing for sites like this one though. As Arry says, he can't compete with CoS. As long as CoS is up, CoS members will go there. shrug

It looks to me like i'm the only one posting in here. All the "last posts" in the currently active threads are mine. sigh

On a side matter, I wonder how successful CoS' annual Advent Calendar will be this year. Last year there weren't enough takers to fill up the whole month, and IIRC three of the Houses didn't bother to contribute. I wonder how it will fare this year. Right now, the calendar is totally empty.

ArryGrotterDate: Sunday, 2014-01-19, 02:56 | Message # 16
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    Date is now set to January 31st :( The site will be dearly missed.

NotMyDaughterDate: Friday, 2014-01-31, 06:44 | Message # 17
    Group: Students
    Never once posted on those forums and had virtually never looked at them, but this is honestly still pretty saddening to me -- just the idea of such a large community closing after so long and all the sentimental posts on there and whatnot. I wish I'd been a part of that message board while it was around, but oh well.

“I see a light in the kitchen. Let us not deprive Molly any longer of the chance to de­plore how thin you are.”

MrSleepyHeadDate: Friday, 2014-01-31, 21:28 | Message # 18
    Group: Muggles
    Interesting turn of events. shrug

FleurduJardinDate: Friday, 2014-01-31, 23:55 | Message # 19
    Second Year
    Well, the latest news is that CoS will just move to Mugglenet... Not really closing. I guess that's why Morgoth and Ali were archiving stuff, and why Matt talked about "firm dates" and "changes".

I never did believe he'd really let the site go completely. We'll have to wait and see how it turns out with Mugglenet!

Forum » Harry Potter » The Fandom » Farewell CoS Forums
    • Page 1 of 1
    Search: