[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Page 1 of 1
    Forum » Hobbies » Movies » The Hunger Games - Catching Fire
    The Hunger Games - Catching Fire
    FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 06:58 | Message # 1
    Second Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    Catching Fire!

I liked the book-to-movie adaptation of The Hunger Games very much, and am looking forward to the sequel. I'm curious to see who they will cast as pretty boy Finnick! (among other things) - Also how they will render on screen the scene where Katniss' dress turns into the Mockingjay outfit on stage in front of the whole of Panem. If they do as good a job as for the "Girl on Fire" scene in the first movie, it'll be something to see!

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 07:54 | Message # 2
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    Quote (FleurduJardin)
    I'm curious to see who they will cast as pretty boy Finnick!

I'm not sure if you are aware, but they've already announced who is cast as this character. I can't remember the actor's name without googling it, but if you saw Pirates of the Caribbean 4, he played the missionary they held captive.

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 17:10 | Message # 3
    Second Year
    You're right, there even was a post about that on AV, it seems to be someone named Sam Caflin (or something like that) - unless it has changed, that post is months old. From the photo, he's not good-looking enough for the character, IMO, but we'll have to see.

I  haven't followed the discussions on movies to come, I'll have to catch up.

Thanks for the heads up.

FlyingTigerDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 19:14 | Message # 4
    First Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Yes, Sam Claflin plays Finnick Odair, and Amanda Plummer plays Wiress.

At one point they were talking about having Robert Pattinson playing Finnick, but Rob Patz is too much Edward Cullen to the movie audience now, it wouldn't have flown.

If the second movie is as well made as the first, it's gonna be well worth the price of admission.

With Jennifer Lawrence having won the Best Actress Oscar, this has all the makings of a blockbuster when it's released.

I'm looking forward to it, too.

Any advanced enough technology is undistinguishable from magic - Arthur C. Clarke

Message edited by FlyingTiger - Saturday, 2013-04-13, 19:28

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 21:07 | Message # 5
    Third Year
    Hmm, I think I may take my admin/mod skills and start a new thread with these last posts - I think Catching Fire is a film that has a fair bit of interest here.

Edit: Done!

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 22:17 | Message # 6
    Second Year
    Good idea, Arry, thanks!

Back to Finnick - from the photos I've seen of Sam Claflin, he's not handsome/attractive/magnetic enough to play Finnick, but that's just my opinion. I've never seen him on screen (didn't see Pirates of the Caribbean 4) so I can't really tell the level of attractiveness he projects.

But Finnick is supposed to be drop-dead attractive, and from the photos alone, he doesn't fit the bill as far as I'm concerned. But there's nothing to do about it now but wait and see how he comes across in the movie.

When is it due to be released, btw?

Re: Rob Patz, much as I'm smitten with him as Cedric Diggory, for which role I thought he was perfect, I don't really see him as Finnick Odair either. *shrug*

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 22:24 | Message # 7
    Third Year
    Well, I personally don't care about how attractive Finnick is tongue

Quote (FleurduJardin)
    When is it due to be released, btw?

End of November this year, I believe. Taking over that Thanksgiving-round-about date that HP and later Twilight dominated.

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 22:41 | Message # 8
    Second Year
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    Well, I personally don't care about how attractive Finnick is
    Well, it's a big part of the story - you don't have to be a woman susceptible to his male charms to care about who plays him.  It is important that his attractiveness is credible, or the plot won't really work. wink

Thanks for the heads up on the release date. smile

ccollinsmithDate: Sunday, 2013-04-14, 03:02 | Message # 9
    First Year
    Group: Slytherins
    I read the trilogy after seeing the first film. I'm really looking forward to this.

And yeah, I do think it's important that Finnick be drop-dead gorgeous... but I also have faith that Hollywood can pull this off. The actor may have the magnetism locked, by the way.

THE GLITTELUTION WILL NEVER DIE!
    viva la glittelution!

FleurduJardinDate: Friday, 2013-04-19, 06:03 | Message # 10
    Second Year
    Quote (ccollinsmith)
    The actor may have the magnetism locked, by the way.
    Mmm... The jury's stll out on that one. We'll have to judge on the evidence presented. biggrin

The rest of the cast sounds pretty good. Come November!!

FuryDate: Tuesday, 2013-05-14, 18:04 | Message # 11
    First Year
    Group: Hufflepuffs
    New poster. Love it, and the tagline as well.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BKPmhNtCQAAYv35.jpg:large

leah49Date: Wednesday, 2013-05-22, 00:54 | Message # 12
    Just Received their Letter
    Group: Hufflepuffs
    I don't like the poster simply because that doesn't look like Kat.  Well, I don't think so.

Thank you for creating the forums that may keep us together after the closure of CoS.

ArryGrotterDate: Wednesday, 2013-05-22, 01:19 | Message # 13
    Third Year
    I find that quite an odd tagline, actually. And the poster doesn't really convey the essence of the story to me. Looks like a girl's gone on a day trip hunting in the mountains...

FleurduJardinDate: Wednesday, 2013-05-22, 02:24 | Message # 14
    Second Year
    I agree with both previous comments. I didn't get that tagline either.

It also looks like Katniss is there by her lonesome. The story is really about groups (even if the tributes fight each other, still they form alliance and groups - and it's also the rebels against the Capitol.)

Like Arry says, the poster doesn't convey the essence of the story, at all. The mountain doesn't give a good idea (or even any idea) of the Arena, and Katniss is far from alone in the story.

PottermnmDate: Monday, 2013-06-10, 01:18 | Message # 15
    Just Received their Letter
    Group: Gryffindors
    I just ordered my Hunger games Trilogy today  , after I finished watching the film early this moring. Its been long since I wanted to read a book this badly. Of course I am really looking forward to watching Catching Fire., not to mention reading the Trilogy itself, books are ALWAYS better than films.  Its not like its a Potter, but a little of that exitement is back and I must say it feels good. I missed that feeling of aniticpation. I am glad to have found somthing that gets me this exited. smile

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2013-11-26, 08:27 | Message # 16
    Second Year
    According to some critics (both newspaper reviews and CoS and AV members reviews), the movie is, believe it or not, better than the books.

Coming back to Finnick from the photos and trailers, Sam Caflin really is good in the role, his looks are perfect.

I plan to go see the movie tomorrow. Will report. :)

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2013-11-26, 22:14 | Message # 17
    Second Year
    Quote FleurduJardin ()
    I plan to go see the movie tomorrow. Will report.
    OK, I saw it and liked it very much, though I wouldn't go as far as saying it's better than the book. The cast is perfect, though, and I see how Jennifer Lawrence got the Oscar earlier this year (for another movie, which I haven't seen).

Anyone interested can go look at the AV thread on it:
    http://www.avenueviet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3911

Should you get the "This site is temporarily unavaliable", don't be discouraged. Try again a few hours later. I'm getting tired of my unending war with the spammers, so I close down the site when I go to sleep, or when I know I'll be out for a  length of time. Even like that, I have to zap an average of 200 spammers a day. grumble sigh

Did anyone else see the movie and care to comment?

sjcuk13Date: Tuesday, 2014-01-21, 22:31 | Message # 18
    Second Year
    I have finally managed to see this movie (Christmas is always a too busy time). I think that the movie is about as good as the books with a few exceptions (like the info of the previous quarter-Quells and how various people won their games).

Finick is as pretty as he is described in the books.

The whole story telling aspect of the movie is brilliant (it would have been nice to have the little touches in like The Game Makers pocket watch having the mokinjay(SP?) on it).

All in all a very good movie and one that stayed very true to the books.

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2014-02-04, 05:25 | Message # 19
    Second Year
    Quote sjcuk13 ()
    The whole story telling aspect of the movie is brilliant (it would have been nice to have the little touches in like The Game Makers pocket watch having the mokinjay(SP?) on it).
    Yes, I was expecting to see Plutarch flash his watch at Katniss when he danced with her, but no such luck.

I found the ending a bit rushed. It was hard to follow for someone who hadn't read the book, very confusing. The friend I went with felt lost at the end, when Katniss came into that room in the hovercraft and saw Plutarch there along with Haymitch and Finnick, and then when Gale appeared as if out of thin air.

We went to see the movie a second time and, interestingly enough, my friend enjoyed it more the second time, and I enjoyed it less... Go figure...

sjcuk13Date: Tuesday, 2014-02-04, 12:17 | Message # 20
    Second Year
    I will be surprised if I eve see this movie again. I did like it a lot however movies that I need to like I normally only watch once as the next time I watch the movie I tend to sit and pick out mistakes or let little bits annoy me.

As for Mokingjay I really want to see how they deal with Katniss not being the center of everything all the time. but I would guess that is why we seen a lot more of some of the other characters to make this more possible and believable.

Forum » Hobbies » Movies » The Hunger Games - Catching Fire
    • Page 1 of 1
    Search: