[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Page 1 of 1
    Forum » Harry Potter » The Books » Favorite Chapters from the Books
    Favorite Chapters from the Books
    xhanax315Date: Saturday, 2013-04-06, 05:05 | Message # 1
    First Year
    Group: Students
    I've been reading CoS and I realized that chapter fifteen, "Aragog" is one of my favorite chapters of the book. I love the whole suspense surrounding the Chamber and how everyone is frightened of the monster within. My favorite part though is when Harry, Ron, and Fang venture into the Forbidden Forest and come across the Weasleys' Ford Angelina. I love the description of Ron and the car approaching each other like a dog meeting it's owner. And then of course when we actually meet Aragog and his children.

This is only from CoS of course, I haven't even gotten to the other books yet. So which chapters are your favorites from the books?

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-04-06, 20:50 | Message # 2
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    I think "Horcruxes" from HBP is one of my favourites. There was such a lead up to this moment and this single chapter changed the course of the entire series. Similarly, "The Prince's Tale" from DH.

Also I think "Hermione's Secret" from PoA. Jo did a really good job with explaining and showing (remember, show don't tell! tongue ) time travel and its rules.

FuryDate: Sunday, 2013-04-07, 16:15 | Message # 3
    First Year
    Group: Hufflepuffs
    PS/SS: Diagon Alley, Halloween
    CoS: Mudbloods and Murmurs, Aragog
    PoA: Cat, Rat and Dog, Hermione's Secret
    GoF: Bagman and Crouch, Parting of the Ways 
    OotP: Department of Mysteries, The Lost Prophecy
    HBP: The Other Minister, Birthday Surprises
    Deathly Hallows: The Silver Doe, The Battle of Hogwarts

Through the last four books, it was very hard to pick just a couple of chapters. I could have picked a whole slew of chapters, really, but I just wanted to go down to just two. Many of those I picked for various reasons. For example, "Bagman and Crouch" because I love the Quidditch World Cup camping scenes, or "The Other Minister" because of all the information. "Birthday Surprises", "Silver Doe" and "The Battle of Hogwarts" all had one thing in common for me -- the impact on Ron and Hermione's relationship which I love!

ccollinsmithDate: Monday, 2013-04-08, 05:49 | Message # 4
    First Year
    Group: Slytherins
    Quote (ArryGrotter)
    I think "Horcruxes" from HBP is one of my favourites. There was such a lead up to this moment and this single chapter changed the course of the entire series. Similarly, "The Prince's Tale" from DH.Also I think "Hermione's Secret" from PoA. Jo did a really good job with explaining and showing (remember, show don't tell! tongue ) time travel and its rules.

My absolute favorite is "The Prince's Tale."
    "Horcruxes" is also great.

"The Forest Again" and "The Silver Doe" are also big favorites. (I really love a lot of stuff in DH).

On a lighter note, I love "The Other Minister" from the beginning of HBP.

I need to look through my other books for chapter titles because there are so many chapters I love, but I can't really remember them all off-hand.

THE GLITTELUTION WILL NEVER DIE!
    viva la glittelution!

arithmancerDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 00:50 | Message # 5
    Just Received their Letter
    Group: Muggles
    My favorite chapter from the series as a whole is "The Prince's Tale". It's one of my favorite chapters ever in any book or series, actually.

From the other books...

In PS/SS, "Through the Trapdoor". I loved reading about how the Trio got past all of the obstacles.

In CoS, "The Duelling Club". Lockhart vs. Snape, what's not to love?

In PoA...hmm, tough call. I love the climactic confrontation in the Shack, but I also really love the way the Time-Turner use is written, with all the details showing how Harry and Hermione were there, Time-Turned, all along.

In GoF, the chapter in which Voldemort and Harry duel. So suspenseful!

In OotP, hmm. Do I have a favorite chapter? I'm not that fond of the adventures at the Ministry. Dolores is very hateful. I guess the chapter that is most important to me is "Snape's Worst Memory" for its glimpse of the series backstory, but the one I like best is probably Hermione blackmailing Rita into writing the article about Voldemort's return. Go Hermione!

In HBP, "Spinner's End". I loved that one to pieces (literally, it's fallen out of my HBP and I had to buy a new book. wink )

ArryGrotterDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 01:27 | Message # 6
    Third Year
    Quote (arithmancer)
    In HBP, "Spinner's End". I loved that one to pieces (literally, it's fallen out of my HBP and I had to buy a new book. )

lol Wow, you must really love that chapter! tongue

MaelodyDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 22:32 | Message # 7
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    My favorite is probably the one in Deathly Hallows where (I'm too lazy to get up and look right now) Harry is in the pensive and we get to see all of Snape's memories. I knew Snape was in love with his mother all along, but getting to read about it and see the things that made him such a good guy was something I loved getting to do. I also like the ones in Order of the Pheonix when Harry sees Snapes memories through Occlumency. Anything Snape related really. He's one of my favorite characters! :3

Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2013-04-19, 23:11 | Message # 8
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Quote (ccollinsmith)
    My absolute favorite is "The Prince's Tale.""Horcruxes" is also great.

"The Forest Again" and "The Silver Doe" are also big favorites. (I really love a lot of stuff in DH).

On a lighter note, I love "The Other Minister" from the beginning of HBP.

I need to look through my other books for chapter titles because there are so many chapters I love, but I can't really remember them all off-hand.
    I love those chapters as well. DH had a lot of good chapters in it. Loved quite a few from OOTP as well, but I can't think of any off hand. Same goes with the rest of the series. Guess it's time for a re read lol It's been too long.

willfitzDate: Saturday, 2013-04-20, 02:52 | Message # 9
    It's really hard for me to put a finger on why, but on my most recent read-through, I noticed that I really liked the chapter "Felix Felicis" in HBP. It's not a pleasure to read, and it's not a happy chapter, but I just like the arc of it, I guess.

It's the chapter which results in Ron kissing Lavender after the Quidditch match.

Message edited by willfitz - Saturday, 2013-04-20, 02:52

Britreads4funDate: Sunday, 2013-06-16, 06:34 | Message # 10
    First Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    I think it's a tie between "Flesh, Blood, and Bone" in GoF, and "The Secret Riddle" in HBP. The first because it's possibly the most intense chapter in the series for me, and the 2nd because I love the Voldemort backstory.

JinxDate: Thursday, 2013-07-11, 02:39 | Message # 11
    I really like this thread because I have so many favorite chapters although I'm the books those chapters are from are not necessarily my favorite. Okay, here goes (I apolgize if I get the chapter titles all wrong!):

SWM- because I loved being able to see a glimpse of the Marauders/Lily/Snape when they were Harry's age. That was so cool!

Prince's Tale- because it gave us insight into Snape's actions and personal life which I was personally craving

Kreacher's Tale- because it solved the mystery of RAB and gave us insight into one of my favorite minor characters, Regulus as well as another look into Sirius's home life

The Ancient and Most Noble House of Black- because this gave us our first real look into Sirius's childhood and I thought the information was so revealing/interesting

Epilogue/19 years later- because I loved getting an idea of Harry's future/family and it gave me a nice closure to the series

The Cat, Rat and Dog (as well as the related chapters before/after it)- because it solved the mystery behind Sirius Black and it was such a fun conclusion

The Secret Keeper- because it gave us that surprise twist of Sirius being the secret-keeper

That chapter in CoS when Harry and Ron polyjuice themselves as Crabbe and Goyle- I just thought it was really fun to see how Draco treats his friends and also what the Slytherin common room looks like

Infiltration of the Ministry- it was just an intense chapter when the trio goes into the Ministry

The seven Potters- again, another intense, action-packed chapter.

Fallen Warrior- the wait to see who got back from the seven potters battle was so suspenseful. I absolutely loved it!

Okay, I could probably go on and on but I think I'll stop there because I don't really remember any of the other chapter names.

NotMyDaughterDate: Friday, 2014-01-31, 06:57 | Message # 12
    Group: Students
    My favorite one is probably kind of an obvious pick, The Prince's Tale. Completely turned the entire series on its head in a plot twist I can't imagine anyone could pick up on just from the books (did anyone? I've never been on any HP message board prior to this one -- I did once see that some people had figured it out from consolidating various JKR interviews, but were there people out there who somehow picked it up just from the books themselves?) and it completely blows my mind every time I read it. Love the whole thing and that chapter alone makes Snape my favorite character in the series by far, and finally settles the question raging since book one of just what side the guy is on. I could go on and on about that chapter and maybe I'll give it a post of its own later.

As close a second as any chapter could ever be would have to be "Flesh, Blood, and Bone." I could be wrong on this -- someone do correct me if I am -- but I believe that it is the shortest chapter in the books, and I actually love that. The chapter begins, does what it's supposed to do, and then ends. Absolutely no filler. It gives me chills and I was going to make my username here FleshBloodandBone until I settled on the Molly quote instead.

Those two are by far the standouts and my two favorites. If I were to rank all the chapters, it'd definitely go:
    1. The Prince's Tale
    2. Flesh, Blood and Bone
    3. Others

But the one other chapter that comes to mind as worth a mention -- that isn't to say that it's my third-favorite, but just the other one that pops into my head as certainly being among my favorites -- is The Madness of Mr. Crouch. Viktor and Harry standing there having a casual conversation about girls and it seems like a basic scene of characters interacting in a fun, positive way... then suddenly COMPLETELY INSANE MR. CROUCH POPS OUT OF NOWHERE and goes from clutching at robes and begging to see Dumbledore and rambling about the Dark Lord.. to speaking completely coherently to trees about his dead son's test scores, which is even more unsettling than the robe-clutching. It is such a horrifying, jarring 180 and I love it. Then of course when you read it knowing Crouch dies right after that, the impact is strengthened even more because you can fully understand and appreciate the desperation of his insane, incoherent pleas to see Dumbledore -- that is a man on the verge of death essentially pleading for his life, but nobody around has any idea what's going on or how to save him. Such a deliciously terrifying, unsettling scene that comes right in the middle of a positive, casual conversation -- love it.

“I see a light in the kitchen. Let us not deprive Molly any longer of the chance to de­plore how thin you are.”

ArryGrotterDate: Friday, 2014-01-31, 19:41 | Message # 13
    Third Year
    Quote NotMyDaughter ()
    (did anyone? I've never been on any HP message board prior to this one -- I did once see that some people had figured it out from consolidating various JKR interviews, but were there people out there who somehow picked it up just from the books themselves?)

I'm not sure if anyone could have lived in such a bubble to only have the books to draw their theories from lol It was just a crazy time. Back then I wasn't a forum-goer, but there were tons of other ways to look up theories such as editorials, essays, podcasts, etc. I was 90% sure about the Lily thing at the time of DH's release.

Forum » Harry Potter » The Books » Favorite Chapters from the Books
    • Page 1 of 1
    Search: