[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Page 3 of 3
    • «
    Forum » Hobbies » Literature » Your Current Read
    Your Current Read
    GodricHollowDate: Wednesday, 2013-10-09, 23:07 | Message # 41
    Just Received their Letter
    Group: Muggles
    Fun fact on Codex Alera: It was written on a bet (Jim was given two rubbish story ideas - the lost Roman Legion and Pokemon - I kid ye not, Pokemon) and he had to write a story based around those ideas.

Yes, I'm a Butcher geek - can't wait for his next series.

As for me, I've just gotten the fourth book in the Heroes of Olympus series by Rick Riordan. Love those things - in fact, Butcher, Riordan and Derek Landy (Skulduggery Pleasant) are just about the only authors I deliberately go out of my way to get the hardcopy editions of their work for these days - nine times in ten I grab it on my Kindle.

FleurduJardinDate: Monday, 2013-10-28, 06:33 | Message # 42
    Second Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    In expectation of the movie being released about 3 weeks from now, I'm rereading "Catching Fire" - In fact I'm rereading the whole Hunger Games trilogy. :D

FleurduJardinDate: Tuesday, 2013-11-26, 08:40 | Message # 43
    Second Year
    I've started reading Naomi Novik's "Temeraire" series, the Napoleonic Wars fought on dragonback (the mixture of dragons and Napoleon was irresistible to me!)

I didn't like the first book, "His Majesty's Dragon", very much, for various reasons (for those interested, I posted my review and comments on AV) but I'm quite taken by the second book, "Throne of Jade".

sjcuk13Date: Tuesday, 2014-01-21, 22:38 | Message # 44
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    Flure I LOVE this set of books (after have some dubious thoughts about them to begin with) they are so well writen and drag you into the story so rather than reading you actually think you are there with them.

I am currently on to Tongues of Serpents 6th in the series and the last one currently on the kindle - but not the last in the series so I am in for a wait until I can get the rest. :(

Now off to AV to read you review I am intrigued.

Message edited by sjcuk13 - Tuesday, 2014-01-21, 22:39

sjcuk13Date: Sunday, 2014-02-02, 01:03 | Message # 45
    Second Year
    Ok so I have moved onto Pern I am currently on to chapter 5 so still learning about the world(s) and trying to figure out what is going on :)

I will let you know how it goes

Fawkesfan1Date: Wednesday, 2014-02-19, 04:20 | Message # 46
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Am working on reading 'The Shining'. Just got done reading 'Doctor Sleep', the sequel to it (only did that, since it was due beforehand and had a hold on it) and it was well worth the read. Some of the best I've read by Stephen King in awhile. Might be reading some more of 'The Shining' tomorrow.

sjcuk13Date: Sunday, 2014-02-23, 18:52 | Message # 47
    Second Year
    I read the Shining a while ago - one of my friends was convinced that I would not be able to finish the book. As with all of Stephen kings books very interesting and story driven. however his style of writing does seam to jump a lot then I tend to forget whats going on. :)

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2014-04-19, 03:39 | Message # 48
    Second Year
    Following a recommendation by Schulbalybub (sp?) I read my first Stephen King - an atypical one as it's not a horror story (though there are some gruesome scenes) entitled "11//22/63" (the date of the Kenneddy assassination).

It's a time travel story, someone from 2011 going back in time to prevent Oswald from killing the Prez, except he can only go back to 1958 and live 5 years in the past before he can do what he set out to do.

It's a big book (840+ pages), with a very complex story, some sociological commentaries and a sweet romance - and an unexpected and very poignant ending

I heartily thank Schulbalybub for the recommendation, and in my turn strongly recommend the book.

Funnily enough, I had bought at the same time another "alternate history" book about Kennedy, this one a politics-fiction book, speculating how things would have turned out if Oswald had failed to kill JFK. It's extremely interesting ot read the two one after the other, as the part about the assassination covers the same time period and the same cast of characters, with the same thorough research into people and events. This one's by Jeff Greenfield, and it's called "If Kennedy had lived - the first and second term of President JFK" - It's fascinating.

Forum » Hobbies » Literature » Your Current Read
    • Page 3 of 3
    • «
    Search: