[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Page 1 of 1
    Forum » Hobbies » Television » Two tv networks are threatening to go off the air
    Two tv networks are threatening to go off the air
    Fawkesfan1Date: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 22:53 | Message # 1
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Just heard about this on tv.

the end of free tv

Disclaimer: from news.yahoo.com

Fox and Univision are threatening to become pay tv channels

All due to Aereo, a new way of viewing television. They're not happy about it either. It's cheaper than cable and they aren't paying for the content, so now companies like Fox and NBC Universal as well are suing and saying what Aereo's doing is piracy.
    -------------------------------------------------

I figure that they should at least pay the companies something for the content, but be allowed to be some competition against the companies. It shouldn't be an out and out monopoly.

There needs to be competition.

Any thoughts on this?

MaelodyDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-09, 23:58 | Message # 2
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    I really hope Fox doesn't become a pay television network. I don't know what Univision is, but Glee is on Fox! That's my show! Though I suppose this may be their last season, so I guess maybe I won't need it afterword, but I know I like to watch Fox every now and then.

Fawkesfan1Date: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 00:06 | Message # 3
    Third Year
    Quote (Maelody)
    I really hope Fox doesn't become a pay television network. I don't know what Univision is, but Glee is on Fox! That's my show! Though I suppose this may be their last season, so I guess maybe I won't need it afterword, but I know I like to watch Fox every now and then.
    Same here. It's a Spanish channel. I like to watch Bones on it (Fox) and I'd never go and pay them for the channel itself. It wouldn't be worth it. Already pay more than enough for cable.

Fox tried to do something similar a while back, iirc, in terms of letting people download a video player and then charging them to watch their shows on it. They stopped after enough people complained, but it looks like they're at it again sad

Never went for any pay per view channels myself, unless they come with the cable package. It's not worth paying $10 or so extra a month (iirc) just to see their content.

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 00:06

MaelodyDate: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 00:08 | Message # 4
    Second Year
    I know! I was disappointed in getting my xbox and finding out that I had to pay an extra $10 a month just to hook up to the internet on it. I should have asked for a Play Station 3 at that rate. 

Anyway, I know Fox has an app (at least I'm sure they do) which you can download for free, but I'm not paying for it. It's bad enough that I actually use websites which promote free viewing anyway when I can't catch my shows when they air.

Fawkesfan1Date: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 00:12 | Message # 5
    Third Year
    Quote (Maelody)
    I know! I was disappointed in getting my xbox and finding out that I had to pay an extra $10 a month just to hook up to the internet on it. I should have asked for a Play Station 3 at that rate. Anyway, I know Fox has an app (at least I'm sure they do) which you can download for free, but I'm not paying for it. It's bad enough that I actually use websites which promote free viewing anyway when I can't catch my shows when they air.
    Wow. That's terrible of them to do that. People already pay too much for internet. It would be like having to pay for it twice. Companies angry

Ah. Don't blame ya there. Not everyone can watch shows when they air. Don't get why they get their panties in such a bunch over dvr... people are still watching the shows.

MaelodyDate: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 00:14 | Message # 6
    Second Year
    So here is a question. Is Fox News a part of Fox, or are they two different channels? Because the news is really important, and I don't think they would want for anyone to pay for that. Otherwise, my grandmother would have a fit! lol

Fawkesfan1Date: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 00:18 | Message # 7
    Third Year
    Quote (Maelody)
    So here is a question. Is Fox News a part of Fox, or are they two different channels? Because the news is really important, and I don't think they would want for anyone to pay for that. Otherwise, my grandmother would have a fit! lol

lol They're two different channels, that used to be part of the same entity. They're not now though, iirc. Same here, regardless of the channel, news wise. Ah lol

SpacecadetDate: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 12:47 | Message # 8
    First Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    ugh Fox! like they have any leg to stand on. They are the killers of all good tv shows.... I might have to boycott fox if they become a paid for network. JUST UGH!!!!

Fawkesfan1Date: Wednesday, 2013-04-10, 21:13 | Message # 9
    Third Year
    Quote (Spacecadet)
    ugh Fox! like they have any leg to stand on. They are the killers of all good tv shows.... I might have to boycott fox if they become a paid for network. JUST UGH!!!!
    Yea they have some ok shows, but they'll lose a LOT of business if they go and take this route. Same here.

freelantzerDate: Friday, 2013-04-12, 05:10 | Message # 10
    First Year
    Group: Hufflepuffs
    I like a couple shows on Fox like The Mindy Project and Bones. What exactly do they mean by paid? Like it becomes a cable channel now? Or a pay per view situation? If its the latter, then I won't watch any Fox shows. I'd actually kind of welcome an excuse to stop watching Bones... :whistle:

Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2013-04-12, 23:59 | Message # 11
    Third Year
    Like HBO, Showtime and those kinds of channels. Yep. That''s how I feel. Ah lol Still hate Bones then?  It would give me a reason to not watch American Idol as well :whistle:

freelantzerDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 02:47 | Message # 12
    First Year
    I don't hate Bones... lol It's just that the quality of the show has diminished so much. And still it's renewed for another year when it should've bowed out a year or two ago in terms of quality. I still keep watching because I've been with it so long. I was kind of hoping this would be the last season, but alas...

Fawkesfan1Date: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 03:20 | Message # 13
    Third Year
    Quote (freelantzer)
    I don't hate Bones... lol It's just that the quality of the show has diminished so much. And still it's renewed for another year when it should've bowed out a year or two ago in terms of quality. I still keep watching because I've been with it so long. I was kind of hoping this would be the last season, but alas...
    Ah lol How do you think the quality has gone down? Is it in the writing, or is it somewhere else? That's kind of how I feel. Don't think it's too terribly bad. The interaction between Booth and Brennan keep me watching.

freelantzerDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 21:04 | Message # 14
    First Year
    Yeah, I feel like the writers are really running out of ideas a lot of the time. I still love some of the characters, especially Angela and Hodgens, but many of the episode concepts are just so cheesy and far fetched. Like did you see the one where they went undercover as ballroom dance pros?? rolleyes

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 21:12 | Message # 15
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    Psst, if you want more Bones discussion, you should make a new thread tongue

freelantzerDate: Saturday, 2013-04-13, 21:23 | Message # 16
    First Year
    Okay, sorry about that, Arry. smile

Message edited by freelantzer - Saturday, 2013-04-13, 21:24

Fawkesfan1Date: Sunday, 2013-04-14, 02:22 | Message # 17
    Third Year
    Sorry about that too, Arry smile

@ freelantzer: Felt that way as well. Yea I did lol

*takes discussion to the Bones thread*

Just found out that PBS is involved in said lawsuit against Aereo today on NPR (iirc).

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Sunday, 2013-04-14, 02:23

Forum » Hobbies » Television » Two tv networks are threatening to go off the air
    • Page 1 of 1
    Search: