[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Page 1 of 1
    Forum » Hobbies » Movies » Rate/Review The Last Movie You Watched
    Rate/Review The Last Movie You Watched
    FuryDate: Friday, 2013-04-05, 05:27 | Message # 1
    First Year
    Group: Hufflepuffs
    Watch a good movie recently? New movie in theaters, or an older movie in the comforts of your home? Want to review it? Do so here!!

I'll start off with my own review:

Olympus Has Fallen: 9/10

Epic action movie -- the initial attack sequence that started the whole thing was amazing and very well done, and the rest of the action was great as well. 

Acting wise, Gerard Butler still proves he is one of the current great action stars, and great performances as well by Eckhart, Freeman and Angela Basset. Dylan McDermott was rather miscast and underused, and even his final scenes weren't that well done. The villain was believable and quite menacing. 

Overall, the movie was great. Good believable storyline, though some was lacking in places. The dialogue was a bit iffy in places, but most of it was okay. 

As an end note, it is a nice addition to the various action movies of its kind and deserves a spot amongst them.

ArryGrotterDate: Friday, 2013-04-05, 05:36 | Message # 2
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    Went to the movies the other day to catch this one before it left the theatres. I don't think it's been released in many countries yet though.

I Give it a Year

6/10

This movie appeared to be the comedy of the year. I was wrong. It wasn't the worst movie though.

This is one of the few movies where I have to say that the best bits were in the trailer. The laughs are few and far between.

Yet it really depends on your sense of humour. Being a British film, I think that a lot of Americans just won't find its subtle humour funny.

Still it's a refreshing take on the romantic comedy. In that sense it reminds me of (500) Days of Summer (which I loved).

It may be a film you want to watch, but if you don't get around to it, you're not missing much. :/

FuryDate: Tuesday, 2013-04-23, 19:26 | Message # 3
    First Year
    The Host - 8/10

Wow, I am totally shocked. I actually loved the movie! The story was great, much easier to follow than the book, even though I do like the book. The acting was great, especially with Saoirse Ronan (who was amazing in her role!) and the other main actors. There was some good dialogue, and a bit of iffy dialogue here and there. 

However, I wish there was a bit more action. The villain isn't as menacing as she is in the book, she is almost tame. Defeating her was a bit too easy. Also, there was probably a bit too much romance and a bit too much kissing that it made it silly. I understand what they were doing, and the end factor was okay, but getting there was a bit odd. But that is the story and Stephenie Meyer for you. 

One of my favorite parts about the book and the movie as well is the ending scene, and how it introduces the possibility -- and probability -- of a sequel. How it fleshes out  into more than just the little story and brings more to it. 

I'll definitely watch it again.

Fawkesfan1Date: Tuesday, 2013-06-25, 02:06 | Message # 4
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Twilight: Breaking Dawn part 2 -- 6/10

A good ending to the series itself.

Bella as a vampire is a high mark of the series, imo.

The Hobbit -- 7/10

A nice start to the LOTR prequel. Looking forward to the second film in the series. Would have given it a higher score if it didn't have stretches that seemed a little boring at times.

The acting in the film itself was really good and gets a 9/10 from me, along with the cinematography and special effects, the story gets about a 7/10 from me.

Overall, this movie is still worth the watch, in spite of its flaws.

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Tuesday, 2013-06-25, 02:08

FuryDate: Thursday, 2013-07-11, 03:36 | Message # 5
    First Year
    White House Down - 9.5/10

Roland Emmerich does it again! Hands down the best action movie of the year! What a movie! Action, humor, suspense, all great! Great characters and storyline as well!

Joey King, the little girl, I've been impressed with her since I saw her in Oz: The Great and Powerful, and just as she did in that movie, she stole every scene she was in. Her climactic scene near the end of the movie nearly drove me to tears! Even for a young girl, she was the best actress in the movie! WOW!

Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx were both great as well. A great action team, and great performances on their own. James Woods made quite the villain. Richard Jenkins... he was good, but honestly I HATE that actor! Every time I see him in the opening credits of the movie I cringe.

Simply one of the best movies of the year, and probably my favorite Roland Emmerich movie. 2012, Day After Tomorrow, and Independence Day, all good... but this movie was amazing!!!

sjcuk13Date: Monday, 2013-08-26, 19:59 | Message # 6
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    The Wolverine - 7/10

For the die hard X-men/Marvel fans this is a good movie for me I though it was slow to get started but once it kicked in it was a good movie. Very funny lines and some moving bits. I couldn't fault the acting Hugh Jackman (I never can). however near the beginning the shaky camera gets annoying after the first 10 seconds.

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters - 6/10

As a lover of the series of books and the total disappointment I still had lingering from the Lightning Thief I went in with very low expectations and yet the story line still let me down a lot. However the CGI, the Cinematography and the acting were grate, the fighting was fantastic and well choreographed.

Planes - 7/10

I actually enjoyed this movie once it got going. A totally predictable story but a good movie with a lot of laugh out loud moments.

City of Bones - 8/10
    Have not read the books and I did not manage to see the end so when I go back I might add to this but a very enjoyable movie, with a lot of eye candy for both male and females, all of whom can act.

A long post I know but I do have an unlimited pass for the movies, I normally see two or three movies in a day when I go.

Fawkesfan1Date: Wednesday, 2014-02-19, 04:16 | Message # 7
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    The Butler -- This movie was worth the watch. Forest Whitaker got robbed of an Oscar nomination imo, for his portrayal of Cecil Gaines. Very well done. They did a pretty good job representing the points in time that Cecil lived through. From the time he was enslaved with his parents, on down to him getting ready to vote for Barack Obama.

It gets an 8/10 from me.

Enough Said -- An ok enough dramady. The actors did a good job in their roles and it was nice to see James Gandolfini in one last role. 

It gets a 7/10 from me.

sjcuk13Date: Sunday, 2014-02-23, 19:19 | Message # 8
    Second Year
    Group: Slytherins
    Frozen - I seen this when it first came out however as it is half term here in the UK it was on again at the cinema so me and 4 "friends" went to see it. A very good Disney movie, lots of "Easter eggs" to watch out for, a very good story that seams miles better than any of the rest, and some incredibly funny characters :)
    This gets 8/10 Marked down for some pointless songs that do nothing for the story or the character.

Robocop - As a fan of the original 1987 version of this movie I was looking forward to watching this. strangely I was not disappointed. there are some nice nods to the original movie with Robo's body until it is changed some very funny one liner. The movie also has a now twist on how Murphy dies witch does manage to make the movie seam different, new and fresh, some fantastic acting with the four main characters not managing to put a foot wrong.
    9/10 this is me being picky Robo had a red light on his visor which annoyed me no end.

Tinkabell and the Pirate Fairy - A new movie out for half term the only thing  I would say is that you do need to take a kid to see this with you (preferably a good one that wont need to go to the toilet at the point where something happens) a very nice movie some nice animation and some fun when the fairies get their powers switched.
    8/10 from me

Forum » Hobbies » Movies » Rate/Review The Last Movie You Watched
    • Page 1 of 1
    Search: