[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Latest Replies: (may take a few minutes to update)
  • General Writing Discussion Thread (Replies: 4) - Last by joanvines11 (09:24 GMT) 
  • Favorite games you liked to play as you grew up (Replies: 9) - Last by assasin504 (10:02 GMT) 
  • Severus Snape (Replies: 18) - Last by assasin504 (09:59 GMT) 
  • Sherlock (Replies: 4) - Last by sjcuk13 (23:27 GMT) 
  • What's your CoS username? (Replies: 24) - Last by elloran (09:57 GMT) 

• Forum » Hogsmeade Forums » Administration » Technical Issues
    Technical Issues
    ArryGrotterDate: Wednesday, 2013-06-26, 06:25 | Message # 101
    Third Year
    Group: Head of House
    Good to hear that you are sorting your issues, Fawkes. I'm sorry that I can't be of that much help.

Fawkesfan1Date: Wednesday, 2013-06-26, 22:12 | Message # 102
    Third Year
    Group: Gryffindors
    Thanks Arry, no problem. Glad to have sorted it, but like I said over in the chat box, will be sticking with FF, since I haven't run into the issue that I have with Google Chrome with this site.

FleurduJardinDate: Saturday, 2013-06-29, 19:34 | Message # 103
    Second Year
    Group: Ravenclaws
    Funny - but good - I don't have that annoying box on the upper right corner of the screen from here (I'm currently in France) even though I use Mozilla Firefox, just like I do in the US. BUT I have another problem: I have to write my whole post without hitting the hard return key. If I do, the curser gets stuck and I can't type any more. Or the curser jumps back up to the start of the post. Weird problems we're having on your site, Arry!

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Saturday, 2013-06-29, 19:54

Fawkesfan1Date: Saturday, 2013-06-29, 23:08 | Message # 104
    Third Year
    Quote (FleurduJardin)
    Funny - but good - I don't have that annoying box on the upper right corner of the screen from here (I'm currently in France) even though I use Mozilla Firefox, just like I do in the US. BUT I have another problem: I have to write my whole post without hitting the hard return key. If I do, the curser gets stuck and I can't type any more. Or the curser jumps back up to the start of the post. Weird problems we're having on your site, Arry!

Woah that is weird, Fleur. So the ad seems to only show up in the US...

As for the cursor issue, haven't run into that one yet.

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-06-29, 23:37 | Message # 105
    Third Year
    Ugh

headdesk

Sorry, but for weird issues like that, there isn't that much I can do, since I'm unable to change the much about the site.

I could remove that popup ad, but that would requiring paying a fee for the site. I'd only be comfortable with that if traffic on the site considerably increased - this might occur after CoS closes for good, but we'll see...

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-06-30, 15:10 | Message # 106
    Second Year
    ********ArryGrotter
    d only be comfortable with that if traffic on the site considerably increased - this might occur after CoS closes for good, but we'll see...
    I agree, no point in investing too much time and effort at the moment, we can live with the little glitches. Talking about which, I still have the cursor problem, everything stops if I hit the hard return key. So let me try this instead to change paragraphs ******************** ************************* ******************************  Re: CoS closure - as you all know, it's been postponed, from end July to the coming autumn. I can't help but wonder whether Morgoth is just playing with CoS membership. Boost attendance by announcing closure, then keep the site open as members flood back in like they've been doing. It'll be interesting to see whether there's really a closure later on. Honestly, folks, how much time and work does it need to close a chat site? One of the ones I was a member and Mod of closed in less than a week, with a simple announcement and no theatrics. It was a pretty popular site too, though nowhere like CoS. Still... I wonder.

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Sunday, 2013-06-30, 15:12

ArryGrotterDate: Sunday, 2013-06-30, 21:10 | Message # 107
    Third Year
    Fleur, regarding the freezing are you using the bb code or WYSIWYG reply box? You can alternate by presseing the [bb] button in the right hand corner. Trying the other way, may help.

JinxDate: Thursday, 2013-07-11, 02:20 | Message # 108
    Just Received their Letter
    Group: Muggles
    Hey guys, I've got a few issues.
    First, when I click on another users profile, it says I don't have access to that page. Why is that?
    Also, on my own profile, it shows my location but I want to keep my location private. I've tried changing it by going to the Edit Profile button but it doesn't let you change much.
    When I click on my Profile button, it takes me to a new window. Is there a way I could open my profile in the same tab?

Message edited by Jinx - Thursday, 2013-07-11, 02:21

ArryGrotterDate: Thursday, 2013-07-11, 03:05 | Message # 109
    Third Year
    Hi thanks for joining! wave

Quote (Jinx)
    First, when I click on another users profile, it says I don't have access to that page. Why is that?
    Also, on my own profile, it shows my location but I want to keep my location private. I've tried changing it by going to the Edit Profile button but it doesn't let you change much.

Viewing other user profiles is disabled for 'Muggles' - those with less than 5 posts and registered for less than 3 days - to increase the privacy of users' details. While most details can be hidden, some - such as location, which has been pointed out - can not, and it is out of this site's control to hide those.

You may be able to set further restrictions using the 'uID profile', the button above 'edit details', but this account is linked with the site hoster, uCoz.com, and our of this site's control.

Quote (Jinx)
    When I click on my Profile button, it takes me to a new window. Is there a way I could open my profile in the same tab?

Unfortunately, no.

FleurduJardinDate: Monday, 2013-07-22, 06:33 | Message # 110
    Second Year
    Quote (Fawkesfan1)
    Woah that is weird, Fleur. So the ad seems to only show up in the US...
    Yes, it looks that way. I'm back in the US and, lo and behold, that annoying box came back. Moreover, when I click on "close", it goes to the advertised site instead of disappearing.  grumble

On the other hand, the cursor is behaving normally again. I guess you can't have everything. sigh

Fawkesfan1Date: Tuesday, 2013-07-23, 20:51 | Message # 111
    Third Year
    Quote (FleurduJardin)
    Yes, it looks that way. I'm back in the US and, lo and behold, that annoying box came back. Moreover, when I click on "close", it goes to the advertised site instead of disappearing. grumbleOn the other hand, the cursor is behaving normally again. I guess you can't have everything. sigh

:( *scratches head* I wonder why...

That's horrible. It almost seems like a redirect, which isn't good either. smash

Guess so :(

I'm still using ad block plus and having no issues via FF. But on Google, I can't view any smileys or be able to quote when I have it on... if I have it set so the smileys and the quote button are back on there... the damn ad is back again... shrug

Message edited by Fawkesfan1 - Tuesday, 2013-07-23, 20:52

Fawkesfan1Date: Tuesday, 2013-10-08, 00:03 | Message # 112
    Third Year
    Is it just me... or is the chat box not working? I tried to post in it, and nothing is showing up. Am on Firefox right now.

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-10-12, 20:47 | Message # 113
    Third Year
    Quote Fawkesfan1 ()
    Is it just me... or is the chat box not working? I tried to post in it, and nothing is showing up. Am on Firefox right now.
    Just tested it and seems fine. Maybe it was having a hiccup?

FleurduJardinDate: Sunday, 2013-10-27, 04:25 | Message # 114
    Second Year
    <<Is it just me... or is the chat box not working? I tried to post in it, and nothing is showing up. Am on Firefox right now.>>
    It works fine for me, Arry.

Talking of technical issues, I've had some on AV, so please forgive me if I post this here, for those of you who are also AV members.

I've had to disable AV for 24 to 48 hours - too many spammers, plus some malware, plus RL really busy.

We should be back online Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for your patience!
    Fleur/LadyDragon

And Arry, I seem to have a malware, with a weird icon that appears next to some words and lead to an ad - for example, that icon (which I've just seen here on your site too) if it appears next to the word "insurance" will give you a pop-up ad for insurance.

I'll go back to the page where I saw that icon on this site (it did the same thing, brought up a pop-up advertisement) and copy it here for you to see. It's very weird and happens only on Firefox (and on this laptop I'm using) - it doesn't show either with IE or on my desk computer

ETA: This is what this icon looks like: - and here, it appears next to the word "avatar" in one of my posts on the first page of this thread. AND brings up an ad. Both weird and annoying. grumble

ETA2: It also appears on this page next to the word "investing" in one of my posts, and next to the word "window" in Jinx's post. Curiouser and curiouser.

Does anyone else but me see it? confused

Oh Hey Arry I see we've been borrowing smilies from each other, LOL. lol

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Sunday, 2013-10-27, 04:38

ArryGrotterDate: Monday, 2013-10-28, 01:04 | Message # 115
    Third Year
    I'm sorry to hear that Fleur! :(
    I've had funny things like that happen to me on other sites. Since it's only Firefox, maybe you should check your settings on there. And if you use extensions, try disabling them one by one to see if you can figure out if it's one of them. I once had a Chrome extension making pop up boxes appear on shopping sites. shrug

And yep, I've snuck a few smilies off you whistle

FleurduJardinDate: Monday, 2013-10-28, 06:21 | Message # 116
    Second Year
    Quote ArryGrotter ()
    I've had funny things like that happen to me on other sites. Since it's only Firefox, maybe you should check your settings on there. And if you use extensions, try disabling them one by one to see if you can figure out if it's one of them. I once had a Chrome extension making pop up boxes appear on shopping sites. :shrug:
    Erm, what's an extension? confused

Now that icon also appears in one of your posts... sigh

Quote ArryGrotter ()
    And yep, I've snuck a few smilies off you :whistle:
    That's all right, I snuck some from you too. And we both snuck some from CoS, as well as some from the DarkMark. lol

You know, neither my techie nor I can manage to add smilies to our smilie board now, though obviously we did it before. Would you care to give it a try? I've got plenty, which I put in our Test subforum, but those you have to copy manually which is a bore.

Also, those from CoS may disappear if and when CoS really closes (which seems less and less likely). That's what happened to some from an old site I was a member of, Vietscape. Those smilies we put on our board stayed there, since now they have an AV url, but those we just copied in our Test subforum now only appear as a red "x". A pity, because that site had some really cool smilies.

ETA - Why don't the smilies copy on "quote"? We have the name of the smilie, but not the picture. Was it always that way?

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Monday, 2013-10-28, 06:23

ArryGrotterDate: Saturday, 2013-11-02, 19:20 | Message # 117
    Third Year
    Quote FleurduJardin ()
    Erm, what's an extension?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browser_extension
    It's an addon to your browser which can change its functionality. There should be something in your browser's menu that can show you what extensions you are using (if any).
    Quote FleurduJardin ()
    Why don't the smilies copy on "quote"? We have the name of the smilie, but not the picture. Was it always that way?

Lets see
    Quote Test
    Test :) Test

It can work - the similies here sometimes dont like it if there isn't a space after them - but sometimes this can be removed...

FleurduJardinDate: Wednesday, 2013-11-06, 08:11 | Message # 118
    Second Year
    Hmm, I still don't know what an extension is, but I'll explore. Thanks for the link on it.

Oh and now that icon appears on this site too, complete with link to a pop-up ad. It's really a pain in the neck. I've closed down AV for 10 days now, trying to get rid of this - I guess it's a Trojan horse - but no success, at least on Firefox and on Chrome on my laptop. By some miracle, I got rid of it on my desktop. And I was using the same anti-malware software on both computers. I just don't understand it. My technical skills are too limited.

Does anyone else but me see that icon? Here, for example, one such icon appears next to the word "House" in your avatar, Arry. Also after the word "shopping" in your latest post. Really weird.

ETA: And on this post, it shows up after the word "avatar". grumble

ETA2: Now it disappeared after "avatar" but is still there in your posts. *scratch head*

Message edited by FleurduJardin - Wednesday, 2013-11-06, 08:14

Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2014-01-24, 16:25 | Message # 119
    Third Year
    Damn. Just checked your site out Fleur. It's too bad it's still down. I miss it :(.

@ Arry: I can't get the chatbox to work at all, it leads to a 404 page error for some reason argh It's bad enough that I can load the smileys overall, but at least I can view them via the list of smileys thread and make them by hand.

Anyone else running into this issue with the chatbox? confused

Fawkesfan1Date: Friday, 2014-01-24, 16:29 | Message # 120
    Third Year
    Just tested it on Firefox with the same results. Can't edit on either too.

The only way around it is by turning off some stuff via Adblocker and when I do that, I run into that stupid popup. So I guess I'm screwed, for now...

Forum » Hogsmeade Forums » Administration » Technical Issues
    Search: